The family owned business, Kraeber & Co GmbH, is an independent, technology based enterprise which was founded on the 1st January 1980 in Hamburg.
Hanseatic tradition together with courageous entrepreneurship characterize our company. We are committed to open and global competition which we stand up with our service capabilities. Our emphasis is the development, production, marketing and sales of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) of the highest purity. Kraeber has evolved into a niche marketer and supplier. By continously innovating productions, we became the quality market leader in Europe and in other parts of the world for many of our products.
We supply chemicals, biochemicals and animal blood fractions to the pharmaceutical, biotechnological, cosmetical, veterinary and both the human and animal food supplement and nutraceuticals industries. Also intermediates and high purity substances are offered for laboratory and research. These substances are available in bulk, not as finished preparations, to avoid any competition with our customers.
Reliability, fairness and responsibility have a high value in the relationship with our customers and our employees. Continuity, quality and the documentation of the quality procedures are the basis of our business.
We understand the term quality as being excellency in processing and analytical control and prompt customer service. It also involves well documented production and testing methods in cGMP conditions and in the documentation as AMSF in CTD format; thus enabling our customers to register their products. We wish to convey all the necessary advantages to our customers in order that they succeed.
Our "Total Quality Management" system includes a "Site Master File" as per PIC-Document PH 06/91, cGMP, used for the production and the documentation of human and veterinary APIs, the installation, qualification, validation of the production site and equipment, the production processes and the documentation, the permanent education and qualification of our personel. This was backed up in 2001 by the installation of state of the art data processing equipment and the "CHARISMA" software supplied by GUS AG, Köln, for the handling of the commercial and quality documents following the GMP requirements. The software has been validated in 2006. We have been certified to ISO 9001:2008.
To maintain our financial independence we follow a conservative cautious policy with financial planning and controlling. Profits are used primarily to strengthen our assets and to promote expansion. We do not follow the idea of 'shareholder value' but the utility for the company and the employees.
To reach our aims of gaining higher benefits we employ well trained, motivated employees working in an independent, selfmotivated way in their area of responsibility. We have a profit center system and the employees participate in a profit linked bonus system. We take our social responsibility and give a high priority to the interests of the employees by securing jobs and apprenticeships. Safety and environmental protection also has high priority. We have, for example, installed a photovoltaic system with 44.5 kWp / 36.5 kWh. A geothermic system for heating and cooling is planned.
With the overall upturn in the development of the biotechnology market since 1997 and the increased demands of several customers, it was evident and appropriate that relocation was necessary in order to expand production facilities. Therefore, Kraeber acquired a production and office facility in Ellerbek in 1998 / 1999. A fully functional newly furnished production was installed in 1999. In 2002 the office space was extended and in 2008 further clean-rooms for the production have been installed. There remains space for further expansion.
The production laboratory and documentation has been built according to cGMP for the manufacture of pharmaceutical active ingredients. Class B, C, and D clean rooms with working area A have been installed and there is a deep-freezing room to store products at -20 °C as well as freezing rooms and cooled production areas also meeting class C.
Kraeber intends to concentrate its own production efforts in Ellerbek on blood fractionation and the extraction of materials from animal tissues. The company will continue to have joint ventures and co-operations with small to medium sized manufacturers and laboratory organisations who are specialists in production but who require the sales and marketing expertise of Kraeber. This strategy has proven to be successful and has enabled Kraeber to retain flexibility and to meet the demands of the customers without affecting security of supplies, quality and continuity.
The quality of our products is continuously improved by innovations in production processing, analysing, documentation and service.
Quite often the improvements in analytical developments, documentation and customer services are stimulated by the demands and feedback of customers. Furthermore, in the case of analytical requirements, the company works closely with independent laboratories and research institutes. In general, production and processing improvements will continue to be carried out in our own laboratories, where necessary, with the companies to whom subcontract manufacture is placed. Part of the used know how is given by our customers, partly it is acquired from other sources.
In the area of product research Kraeber will continue to concentrate on the following subjects: biological and microbiological substances, animal blood fractions and other animal extracts, carbon hydrates, organic chemical active ingredients, excipients and intermediates for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, diagnostic, cosmetic and health food industries.
The company has six divisions:
In addition to the fractionation of blood from 18 animal species we extract and separate from other tissues. Contract filtration and other contract productions are an important factor.
- Animal Blood Fractionation
Kraeber is the main European manufacturer of animal blood fractions presently reared from 18 spezies for supply to the biotechnology, diagnostic, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
Registered as technical facility according to EC-1069/2009 as number DE 01 056 0005 14
Registered as per §17 FMG (German Feed Law) as supplier for feed and feed mixtures.
- Synthetic Substances
Organic chemical substances as active pharmaceutical ingredients, excipients and intermediates supplied to the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry as well as refined materials in bulk for sale to the laboratory chemical sector.
- Biochemical Substances
Active biopharmaceutical ingredients and excipients, cosmeceuticals and nutraceuticals are supplied to the human and veterinary pharmaceutical, cosmetic, health food and pet food industries.
- Kraeber (UK) Ltd., Newmarket, GB
Marketing and sales of the Kraeber products in the UK.
- Kraeber (UK) Ltd has also sales and marketing agreements with:
- Biolog Biotechnologie und Logistik GmbH, Landsberg, Germany
- Maripro AS, Avaldsnes, Norway
- Seagarden AS, Avaldsnes, Norway (for the non-food industries)
For some time now, international discussion has focussed on Corporate Social Responsibility and the introduction of standards to be complied with by companies involved in international trade. The standards discussed include, amongst others:
- Fair social and labour standards, preservation of the environment, energy saving, social commitment, commitment to training, and the fight against corruption.
As a SME family business, we endeavour to not only comply with such standards within our company but to also help improve the social environment of, above all, children and young people.
Our external commitments include:
- Contributing financially to the purchase and maintenance of a minibus for the Ellerbek Youth Fire-Fighters.
- Contributing financially to the production of an "Addiction Prevention" brochure for distribution in schools.
- Donating a set of reflective road safety vests to the Ellerbek Kindergarten.
- Donations for the printing of the handbook 'Arbeitsbuch zur Radfahrprüfung' issued by the Kreisverkehrswacht Pinneberg.
- Donations for a new vehicle for the youth and family division of the AWO Schleswig-Holstein gGmbH.
- Contributing financially to the production of a 'Cycling Examination Work Book' for the Bicycle Safety Test.
Our Internal commitment:
- For years we have been providing two Apprenticeships. We strive to train these young people to become independent, self motivating and self responsible staff members. In most cases, we recruited these trainees after the end of their apprenticeship.
- We offer internships to school or university students several times a year.
- Providing part-time employments and flexible working hours to our employees.
- Providing free visits to a fitness center for our employees. More than half of our staff participate in the programme.
- Our employees participate in the profit of the company by a profit linked bonus system.
- Our main concern is not shareholder value but the benefits for the company and its employees.
Preservation of the Environment:
- To contribute to the preservation of the environment, we installed a 44.5 kWp/36.5 kWh photovoltaic system in 2005. Until December 2009 we produced 149.000 kWh and avoided 79 mt of CO2.
- The installation of the photovoltaic system was combined with an additional thermal insulation of the roof of our building.
- Paper/cardboard and plastics are recycled.
Fight against Corruption and Bad Practice
- As a globally operating company, corruption is unacceptable to us. We abstain from cooperating with companies that attempt to engage us in such practices.
- Since its formation in 1980, Kraeber & Co GmbH has behaved as an "honourable trader". Reliability, responsibility and fairness is the basis for our cooperation with our customers and suppliers. We abstain from cooperating with companies that are not prepared to uphold these principles.
- Our premises have good thermal insulation and a modern heating- and hot water system. Lighting, operational equipment and IT systems all comply with modern energy saving standards.
- We intend to install a geothermal or combined heat and power system as soon as we find a company or expert, able to develop for us a system which combines the generation of heat and refrigeration and operates economically.
During the past years, substantial investments have been made
- in our new facility in 1999,
- in additional office space and store rooms 2002,
- in new hardware and software,
- in new equipment,
- in development and introduction of new products or of improved qualities,
- in the installment of the ISO-9001:2008 documentation and completion of the GMP documentation,
- in taking shares in other companies,
- in the protection of the environment by installing a photovoltaic system with 44.5 kWp,
- in additional clean rooms for our production facilities 2008.
These investments have been financed mainly from the cashflow. They will ensure further development and future growth of the company.